Saturday 8 March 2014

Mr Smelly

There we were at Jeddah airport with me dressed in the last set of clean clothes I’d bought with me for the two day trip that has turned into five days.  Once again it was a case of wandering around looking for our departure gate.  I needed to stay close to my Saudi colleague as he has MY e-ticket on his smartphone.  This wasn’t made easy because people don’t queue.  Wriggling to to front of the crowd is a national habit.  Well I suppose it’s the same at the traffic lights!

After making our way through the first scrum, clearing the pack with the judicious use of one’s elbows, we made our way onto the bus and were driven out to the aircraft.  No air-bridges at Jeddah airport!  My colleague had already boarded and with my luck the cabin crew wanted to see my ticket… which was on his phone!  He returned to the door when he realised I was missing, or was it the complaints from the passengers trapped behind me? 

This time I took charge ensuring we went down the correct isle.  I didn’t want to fight my way back to the front of the aircraft against the crowd like last time.  I had barely settled in my seat when my old e-reader decided to die!  It has been failing for the last 12 months and whilst I have a new e-reader I didn’t want to bring it to Saudi Arabia.  Just my luck for the damned thing to fail at the beginning of a two hour flight.  I was then forced to read the Arabic newspaper (well actually look at the few pictures).  It was one of the longest two hour flights I’ve had! 

On arrival in Dammam I was anticipating we would take a taxi for the 65km drive to the hotel.  But no; we were hiring a car.  Of course it hadn’t been pre-booked (surprise) and we jumped from rental car company booths looking for an available car.  That done, we headed for the hotel arriving around 8.00pm.  My first thought was to hand in some laundry to avoid being “Mr Smelly” the following day.  We arrived one hour too late for my laundry to be returned the following morning. <sniff… sniff>  Found the least smelly shirt for the next day, then requested an iron.  It didn’t arrive!  Another job for the morning.

We agreed to meet at 9.00am for breakfast.  I was up at my usual 6.00am managing to iron my “used” shirt and then get some work done on the laptop.  At 9.00am I headed to breakfast in an effort to quell the loud rumbling from my stomach.  The plan was to pick a table away from everyone and try to eat with my elbows pressed against my ribs.  If there were any complaints my plan was to look shocked and pretend it was another diner.  Of course my colleague was a “no show”. 

We arrived at the office exactly at 11.00am for our scheduled meeting.  The office was empty except for the tea-boy and IT manager.  People started to appear around 11.30am.  I’d love to work their office hours!

 

By 12.30 we were back at the hotel with work over for the day.  Except me; who carried on banging away on my laptop in the hotel. 

I did notice this restaurant from the car.

What would you name your restaurant the “Seagulls’ Catch”?  Surely they know seagulls are the rats of the ocean!

Dinner on my own!  But at exactly 6.00pm my laundry was returned.  Bliss… a clean shirt, smalls and socks!

Next morning 9.00am, breakfast on my own.  My colleague was tired!  I continued banging away at the keyboard until 1.00pm when we had agreed to meet in the hotel foyer prior to departing for Riyadh.   He turned up at 2.00pm and were were then joined by others for a work conference (in Arabic) which rather left me out.  At one stage I was asked if I knew anything about websites.  Dummy said “a little” and now I’m assisting in the review of the company website which is currently under development.  Oh well, I can do that in all my free time.

After 90 minutes I asked “When does the train leave for Riyadh?” and was then informed we were returning by car. Oh… that was nice to know!  Eventually we departed at 5.00pm and so I knew we wouldn’t get back to Riyadh until 9.30.

The sun started to set at 7.00pm and the car pulled over onto the verge.  I wondered what the problem was… A flat tyre?  No… it was prayer time!  I have to admire their devotion to their religion.

We arrived in Riyadh at 10.00pm and, after a delay, managed to get a taxi back to the compound. That’s when I discovered I couldn’t find the key to the apartment.  Now I had planned for this eventuality and hidden a duplicate key outside the door.  I’m not totally stupid!  Just look it!

I threw all the dirty laundry in the machine and made myself sardines on toast to eat for a late lunch/dinner.  Whilst the machine chugged away I stripped down the e-reader.

The screen has failed.  No chance of a repair so it’s into the bin.  Damned, the e-reader has been very useful and you can’t buy one in Saudi Arabia.  I don’t know why.

No comments:

Post a Comment