Saturday 1 March 2014

Cake and a walk

It is hard to tell whether my baking expertise has improved from its low base level.  The latest experiment involved not using the non-stick spray on the surfaces of the cake tin.  My thought was that this spray might have been the cause of the outer surface of the cake being over-cooked.  I also decided to bake the latest cake at 200, rather than the 350 degrees of my previous efforts.  This time the outer of the date and walnut loaf didn’t over-cook.  However it wouldn’t come out of the tray.  Eventually this problem was solved by brute force.

It even came out pre-sliced (of sorts).  So I appear to have solved the over-cooking problem but create another in the process.  However I have a solution for next time.

Overcoming my disappointment, I headed off for a walk to Khurais Mall.  It’s about 8km from the compound. My idea was to walk through the small suburban streets and get a “feel” for local life.  The first thing of interest was a large Saudi date palm.  I’ve actually seen this in other countries without realising what they were.

Smile

Somehow I managed to arrive at the mall with one minute to spare before mid afternoon prayer time.  It was very fortunate because I was rather hot and sweaty by the time I reached the mall.  All the shops close for 30 minutes during prayer time and the following two photos show what a mall can look like during this period.

If you are already inside the mall then you’re allowed to stay.  But of course all the shops are closed.  Even when they are open over half of them are inaccessible to me.

Single men are not allowed to mingle with the females.  This doesn’t particularly worry me as I’ve now been to four large mall complexes and realise they basically have the same shops.  90% are clothing shops, next would be watches, followed by shoes and leather goods.  It’s all very boring!  Saudi social life revolves around entertaining family and close friends.  Ladies can purchase all these beautiful clothes but they are NEVER going to wear them in public.  My guess is the women have small family and friends female only gatherings where they display their purchases to each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment