Friday 31 January 2014

Cheap Adapter Problem

I’ve mentioned in an earlier post that this unit has both 240v and 110v electrical sockets.  There are also three different socket pin outlet types,none of which are compatible with my UK or AS/NZ appliance plugs.  As a result every plug requires and adapter to convert it to UK 3 pin.  The adapters are very cheap and flimsy.  One has already failed and this morning a second failed.  This time the failure left me with a safety hazard.

It’s the 240v socket for the electrical kettle that has the problem.  The photo above is slightly out of focus so the next out of focus photo might give you more of an idea of the hazard.

One of the two metal pins from the adapter has been left protruding out of the power socket.  I don’t know whether it’s the “live” or the neutral pin.  I know what it should be but I don’t trust the wiring.  You can see what has happened in the following photo.

The 70p adapter hasn’t made a good connection in the power socket and has overheated melting the plastic anchor point.  Then the adapter was pulled from the power socket the pin was left behind.

My initial thought was to use the pliers of my “Leatherman” to extract the pin.

However they are not insulated and if the pin is in the “live” socket I’d certainly know about it.  After some thinking I managed to hook a thin length of insulated wire (the iTouch power cord) around the pin and pull it free.  I’m going to stay with the cheap adapters as I can buy a dozen of them for the price of a quality travel adapter.

After all that excitement it was time for the boring stuff cleaning the bathroom and then sweeping and moping the tiled floors.  I’ve also made an attempt at another fish pie. 

Following Jan’s earlier instructions I diced some raw fish placing it on the base.  Mixed vegies and a can of peas were then added before I grated some cheese over the top.  I then beat two eggs which were poured on top.  The mashed potato was then added.  It has been sitting in the over for an hour and has just started to go brown.  Hopefully it will last me for the next four days.  Then it will be a return to the meat patties.

3 comments:

  1. Take care, Those adaptors could well be a fire hazard if they are getting hot enough to melt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am watching them like a hawk. I unplug those which have a heavy load (kettle, toaster, etc) when not in use.

      Delete
  2. Ok so I missed your blog.. "But if you want to follow the story" But I knew you were somewhere when Jan had a 'blocking' problem..

    I have now followed 'the story'. Oh it has taken a couple of hours to do that from start to present.

    I have been enthralled by your story, such an eye opener Tom..

    Hey you are a pretty good writer you know?

    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete