Saturday 11 January 2014

Dead centre of Riyadh

Although there was a slight chill to the air I decided to take another walk around the area.  A few blocks away Google Maps showed a large park which I thought might be worth exploring.

Park at the top and the location of my villa at the bottom

When I reached the park I found it had a large stone perimeter fence. 

Park perimeter wall on the right

However being inquisitive I found a hole which was possible to peer though.  All I could initially see was a large hole and rubble.  It didn’t look much like a park.  Then by looking to the left I could see numerous regularly shaped piles of earth and gravel.  Obviously the park hadn’t been constructed at it appeared to be a dumping ground for construction rubble.

No grass here!

Then it dawned on me……. It was a cemetery!  Traditional Muslims do not bury their dead in fancy crypts or tombs and nor do they have headstones.  They are buried in a simple shroud in an unmarked grave, whether they be a king or a pauper.  I rather like the idea!

Back at the villa I decided to expand my culinary skills by attempting to bake my first cake.  I had two old banana’s that I’d frozen and decided they would be used to make a banana loaf using Jan’s recipe.

I mixed all the ingredients in a small bowl and defrosted the banana’s in the microwave before adding them to the mix.  The defrosted banana’s looked like a pair of large slippery maggots.

It all went into a baking tin and spent 35 minutes in the oven at 170 deg.  It didn’t looked cooked so I left it in for another 25 minutes before removing it.  I don’t have a cooking rack so made up one from forks.

It looks OK from the outside

I’ve decided to take the loaf to work and give it to Maher. His wife is an accomplished cook and my plans is to seek critical comment.  If I don’t see Maher again then I know I probably poisoned the entire family.

The remainder of the day has been spent on house keeping duties or typing the weekly project report.

No comments:

Post a Comment