Thursday 16 January 2014

Cost of Living

As I'm not the one who pays at the checkout counter I've no real idea of the cost of living in NZ, Oz or the UK.   However since being in Riyadh I've had to assume the responsibility for paying.  Today I made a brief foray to the local supermarket to do a minor restock of the pantry and fridge.  The description of my purchases on the itemized receipt was in Arabic, but I was able to work out the prices for the items based on the numbers and quantity which I can read.  What I now need to identify is whether the prices compare favourably or is the cost of living higher here?.

Item                                 Saudi Riyals           UK £
Bottled water 650ml          1.00                       0.16
Eggs Qty 18                       9.00                       1.48
Fruit yoghurt pots sml      12.00                       1.97
Beef Pattie (qty 24)          35.00                      5.74
Plain Flour (1kg)               4.00                        0.66
Total                                $61.00                   £10.00

Meanwhile I've just made a visit to the office throne room and although I'm the only person on this floor of a new building, I can immediately see I am not going to be the first to use the throne.  Whilst that doesn't worry me, I do wish they would remain seated throughout the performance rather than standing on the seat.  Or even lift the seat to attend to their business.  There isn't much worse than finding bloody great dirty workers footprints all over the seat!  Moreover, I don't think the dam-busters could have spread as much water around.....























No comments:

Post a Comment