Tuesday 24 December 2013

Christmas Day

Well here I am, just another normal day at the office.  Actually I’m usually one of the first to the building and then I’m in the new section all on my own.  It’s quite peaceful and provides a good environment to work undisturbed! 

Last night I surprised myself by cooking a delicious evening meal.  Well it was probably below par if a half decent cook had prepared it.  More grilled turkey sausages (from the USA), steamed mixed veg (from Belgium) and baked chips (Saudi).  I might try something different tonight…. Perhaps an omelette using the cheap eggs with cheese and some of the mixed veges.

I appear to have a gardener.  The young fellow (Gerome) who turned up on Saturday asking to be the gardener must have been waiting for me to contact him.  Meanwhile the gardener from the unit next door just started washing down my patio and doing the grounds.  I liked his initiative and the risk he was prepared to take in doing the work without an agreement.  This morning I managed to have a few words and we have agreed on a price.  The maid next door also approached me last Friday about the cleaning.  Again I deferred on an immediate decision waiting to see what happens.  Amara is Indian and she made the observation/query “No Missy?”  Obviously the woman is astute enough to know who she would have to please!

Most of the workforce on the compound appear to be Indian with the management being Lebanese.  The compound is owned by a Saudi company but it’s most unlikely any Saudi would be willing to do the manual work.

I had another brief conversation with the Philippine Tea Boy this morning and established his annual salary equates to approximately two weeks of my own.  He gets home once every two years (if lucky) and had a slight grumble that he hadn’t received a pay increase since he arrived.  But he did admit he was still making more money than when he was in the Philippines.  Puts life into perspective!

The construction team has deferred my meeting with them for the third time.  Get used to business in Saudi Arabia. 

No comments:

Post a Comment