Saturday 21 December 2013

The new accommodation

There have been no blog posts over the last couple of days because of the lock of internet and internet connection.  I spent the weekend (Fri & Sat) moving to my new accommodation on Al Yamama Village.  At 2.00pm on Friday Galeb (my driver) arrived at the hotel to load my large (half empty) suitcase into the back of the company Nissan sedan and then drove me to Riyadh Avenue Mall where I headed upstairs to grab a shopping trolley before entering the Lulu Department Store.  I’m a quick shopper racing around the shop throwing linen and other soft furnishings into the trolley until it started to overflow.  I was two minutes late arriving at the checkout just as prayer time was announced.  After a 20 minute delay I gave the first trolley load to Galeb and headed back for a second trolley.

This time it was the remaining bedding, a 32” LED TV and a microwave.  Galeb scratched his head looking at the second load and the remaining room in the car.  Whilst he reshuffled the load it was back to the supermarket for me.  A third trolley was required to buy all the kitchenware, ironing board, iron, kettle, etc.  The look on Galeb’s face was worth a photo and we eventually departed with the mop, broom and ironing board stick between us whilst I lovingly nursed the large plastic rubbish bin between my strong thighs.

There are two security checkpoints at the compound.  To get through the second checkpoint you must either be a resident or on a residents guest list held at the gate.  I talked my way through (proves the security is probably more visual than effective) and Galeb helped me empty the car into the foyer.  Actually I had to remember where the unit was as dusk was falling by this time.

The evening was spent unpacking and placing all the purchases in the correct (well interim) locations.  The following are some photos of the unit.  It’s very spacious and comfortable.

Front of the unit with double front doors and a small lawn

The village roads are very wide and the units are well spaced apart with plenty of manicured vegetation

The recreation complete with restaurant, gym, squash and badminton courts

The administration block with offices, supermarket, laundry, library, etc.  The buses belong to the compound and are used for shopping trips, school runs, sports events, etc

Three pools……very important in the height of summer

Half the main lounge room

Other half

Foyer and main entrance

His ‘n’ Hers toilets.  I’ve asked them to fit a seat to Jan’s toilet.  I first thought it was a drinking fountain.  Hope Jan doesn’t play with any of the knobs as she’ll get a shock!

The unit has three bathroom.  They a big on bathrooms in this part of the world!

Kitchen, with dishwasher, BIG oven, HUGE American fridge/freezer, large washing machine and dryer.

Kitchen, looking back into the pantry which is enormous.  My one packet of instant pot noodles  on the shelves looks forlorn and very lonely.

Main bedroom with en-suite

I know….. the bedding looks like it should be in an Egyptian bordello.  But I’m buying on price and it was less than half the price of the other bedding.  The bed is huge (6ft) and I wander around in it when sleeping.

Galeb (driver) has just be told by me (using the phrase book) that we need to do more shopping for the few items I’ve missed.  I’ve also discovered all the power sockets are American style twin flat pin whilst all my appliance plugs are UK 3pin rectangular.  I need to buy seven socket adapters.

No comments:

Post a Comment