Tuesday 31 December 2013

Tor

I’ve started using Tor to access the internet.  Tor is the acronym for ‘The Onion Router’.  It is a software program that ‘bounces’ your internet connection through a large series of “relays” run by volunteers.  This makes it almost impossible for any authorities (such as the NSA) to track where you go on the internet.  Interestingly, TOR was actually developed for the US Navy, who still use it.  However since the spying revelations on the part of the NSA were made public there has been a significant increase in the number of people who have started using TOR.

The reason why I started using TOR was a number of websites are currently blocked to me by the censorship firewall here.  Some rather innocuous sites are blocked.  Moreover going sending information through the firewall enables the authorities to read what I write along with the mail I receive.  TOR circumvents this and makes me anonymous.  However, on the downside -  it can sometimes be slow!

This morning i went back to the building site for further discussions about the layout.  Whilst there I took a number of photos with the old digital Pentax and during this process it made a number of ‘beeps’.  Now I’ve discover there is no memory card in the camera.  Ah…..so that’s what the spare memory card back at the villa is for……… :-(

On the way back to the office the driver took me past “Tyre Town”, “Windscreen Village” and “Hubcap Alley” :-)  Commercial premises selling the same product congregate in certain parts of the city.  I’ve already been to the “Computer Market” where there is shop after shop selling almost everything related to computing. Whilst there I purchased a printer for the office.

No comments:

Post a Comment