Thursday 19 December 2013

Where have my ‘smalls’ gone!

I arrived in this country 19 days ago with sufficient socks and underpants to last just over a week.  Now I’m down to four pairs!  Where have they gone?  I’m starting to think the reason why the Bangladeshi laundry boy has a smile on his face isn’t because I tipped him.

One task for this weekend has now been defined.  I need to locate an underwear retailer.  There hasn’t been an opportunity to look under one of the local’s Thobe’s and check if they wear smalls, but thinking about it they may not.  Particularly as they squat and then use the hose to wash.  I might end up having to go ‘commando’….. Glad my trousers are all light-weight and not coarse heavy serge! <shudder>

The roll of toilet paper I brought with me is down to the last 20%.  Bringing it was a good decision as I noticed the locally available stuff (actually imported) is expensive (locals don’t use it) and the diameter of the cardboard tube in the middle is much larger than the UK roll.  Funny how you notice these small things!

I thought I’d adjusted to being a pedestrian in the local traffic but had a close call today when I failed to remember they drive on the right wrong other side of the road.  I was looking left at a 3 lane road clear of traffic and almost stepped off the footpath into a line of a vehicle coming from the opposite direction.  I’ve also learned to weave my way through the moving lanes of vehicles like the locals.  At least the drivers are aware of you and there are NO drunk drivers.  There is local beer, but it’s non-alcoholic, and tastes like the Bangladeshi laundryman washed my smalls in it before bottling!

A representative from my local employer has now contacted me wanting to see my return ticket and passport.  Apparently I should not have been able to purchase a return ticket for three months after my arrival.  I queried “Why?” given I have a six month business visa.  Apparently in this country your visa must be renewed every 30 days.  Even if you have a six month visa!  So I have a visa valid for six months with multiple entries every 30 days.  Effectively this means I need to reapply for a visa every 30 days.  If the visa isn’t approved in advance I have to leave the country and then re-enter on my existing six month multiple entry visa.  No… I don’t understand either!

Another drive around Riyadh today enabled me to identify some further unique driving rules.  My driver steered with two thumbs resting on the bottom of the steering wheel.  Two toots for left… and right…. and straight ahead!  I now realise why they all toot at the cars in front when waiting at traffic lights.  If you are at the front and don’t creep beyond the traffic light (there isn’t one on the opposite side of the intersection) then another driver will mount the footpath and make their way down past the queued traffic before crossing in front of you adopting ‘pole position’.  So EVERYONE in the front row goes beyond the traffic light.  Of course they can’t SEE the light from this position and when the light turns green they don’t know to move.  So everyone behind toots.  But then some of the dirty ‘b@st@rds’ behind toot when the light is red.  When this happened today the three cars in the front row sprinted across the intersection into the path of traffic accelerating from their right who had the green light.  Apparently the situation used to be even more chaotic until the authorities started mounting red light cameras around the city.  These have had some effect but the fine is only $300 (no demerit system) and a reasonable proportion the wealthy Saudi’s just “go for it” and pay the cumulative fine at the end of the month.

No comments:

Post a Comment